Tuesday 26 February 2008

THE PARADOX



I have a suspicion.


In fact, I firmly believe that at this moment in time, men and women detest one another to an unprecedented degree. Honestly, I don’t even know how this race of humans has ever managed to propagate. Whether you like it or not, humanity is split into two contradictory halves. The female resents the male as much as he resents the female because both believe that preferentiality is given to one half of humanity at the expense of the other. The prime weapon, inevitably, is sex. And personally, I am just as ready for war as for peace. But because I am not in favour of promoting solitary self-sufficiency in the face of growing female alienation, I sincerely believe that the only honourable and well-intentioned thing that a man can do for a woman is to make a pass at her. It may be pathetic, but at least it’s helpful (- and can you imagine the uproar if men ceased to be so “helpful“?). So, gentlemen, why not just get one with it?


And there’s the paradox.


Those who reduce the complexity of courtship to certain simple formulas will have to concede that between the forces of nature and the desires of men there is also the force which is called female intransigence. My own impression is that men are the victims, not the masters, of the weaker sex. Of course, there are some surprisingly compliant females. But largely, they are the infamous minority you'll never meet, and they owe their reputation in no small part to a sit-com called Sex and the City. The truth of the matter is that, on the contrary, a woman likes the feeling of being indulged, especially by a man who can unite the manners of a perfect gentleman with the utmost attention to the G-spot (which, incidentally, doesn‘t exist). I don’t even know how we got to the point where being promiscuous is valued above, say, virtue or intelligence? But got there we have. We all know that men are sexually predatory. The male is after all the principal procreative member, the predatory master phallus par excellence.


And that, surely, is how women love to hate him.


Personally, I don't even want sex unless it is unconditionally given. What I want is enchanted hours of deferred gratification with my adorable soul-mate and, ultimately, a coming together in a massive electrical charge. I want a lovable hero who has the power to induce my compliance with one enthralling kiss from his lips. Romance is libido on the wing! Infatuation an intellectual twister - an extreme, head-spinning boost waiting to take wings. It is a meeting of minds, a time of almost idiotic rapture, but it is also an acknowledgement of personal value — and that can be a very desirable emotional prize.


Dreamy

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I am up for a shag anytime Selena - if that is what you were getting at....

Selena Dreamy said...

What I was getting at, Mutley, is that you have a rakish one-ear-up, one-ear-down sort of look. And that the rakes get all the ladies...

Uncle Dick Madeley said...

I'm here to say that I'm not interested, but purely as a means of making you lust after more than you do already... Mutley.

Selena, how do I make a pass in this virtual world when I haven't even hands to pinch your bottom or lips to wolf whistle you?

Anonymous said...

Mutley old man; what would "Selena" want with a sea bird?

Jonathan said...

Yeah the war between the sexes is certainly real, and its certainly sad.

In a utopia that intrigues me, men wouldnt chase women. Not perpetually wanting to get inside womens underwear, they'd just think about ways to render the world an ever more agreeable, peaceful, delightful place. Not competing for women, they wouldnt waste so much energy, and create so much havoc, pumping up the martial repertoire.

Women would do the chasing. They'd rarely be refused both becasue they wouldnt ask that widely anyway, given that ladies are picky, and because men as we know are more inclined to consent. Things would work out better too, since women are better at making workable choices, I suspect.

Just a thought. It implies I grant a certain rewiring of our undertsanding of 'nature'. But what is more fundamental...consciousness or matter. Its only a modern trend to say matter.

Do you think things this way round would be really boring? I can imagine that perception, though I think it rests on the idea that 'conflict' is somehow necessary for life to be interesting, which Ive never really accepted. I think the interaction of opposites or differences can be just as absorbing upon a background of harmony.

As things stand I can only envy the song and dance routine women can so regularly solicit from men...well, the pretty ones anyway (i can admit the injustice in this).

Richard Havers said...

Well having done more than my fair share of test driving at one point in my life I'm firmly of the view that it's about even on the who has the superiority debate. As for the detesting bit there's clearly times when everyone of us has a bit of a downer on the opposite sex, although I 've never really felt like that. Being an ever so optimistic kind of a person there was always something good just waiting in the next showroom, at least there was until Mrs H. came along, sixteeen years ago....since then we've tended our lovely garden together

Anonymous said...

I love women -their bouncy boobies and their hairy bits...

Mrs McAvoy's Buzz said...

lol couldn't agree more.

I hate most of them but certainly coudln't live without them!